To be a Christian is to have a right relationship with Jesus Christ – a relationship characterised by loyal (committed) love. This relationship of loyal love begins and is sustained throughout by the grace of God.
Grace simply means ‘gift’. The greatest gift God gave is his Son, Jesus. As we read in the gospel of John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” When we receive the gift of God’s Son Jesus, we receive the fullness of God’s grace, including forgiveness, the promise of resurrection to eternal life (heaven) and the Holy Spirit.
We receive Jesus by faith. Faith in Jesus includes accepting the Biblical testimony concerning Jesus. For example: That he is God’s Son. That he died on the cross and was resurrected to eternal life. That he reconciles us to God the Father. Faith also means trusting Jesus enough to follow his teaching. The fruit of Christian faith is obedience to Jesus. Part of our obedience to Jesus includes being baptised. The act of baptism involves professing our faith in God the Father, Son & Holy Spirit and being immersed in water. In being baptised we publicly accept God’s grace, in Christ, by faith and we commit to being a disciple of Christ.
To become a disciple (follower or apprentice) of Jesus Christ is to start a life long journey. The journey is difficult in places and you probably won’t be the same at the end. If you wish to start this journey with Christ or you would like to know more please talk with Will or Daryl.
Following is a prayer of forgiveness, if you need some words to offer Jesus…
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner. I believe you died for the sins of the world and rose from the dead, our hope of eternal life. I ask you to forgive my sins. Grant me grace to forgive those who have sinned against me. May you fill my heart and life with your Holy Spirit so that I would learn to trust and obey you as my Lord and Saviour. In your name Jesus I pray. Amen.
The Lord’s Prayer
Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be your name
Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us
Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil.
Some Next Steps
- Get yourself an easy to read translation of the Bible and start by reading the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) – say 30 minutes each day
- Start attending a local church regularly
- Find someone who has been a Christian for a while (who you can trust) and ask them to mentor you, i.e. someone who will…
- Pray for you and teach you how to pray
- Show you how to read the Bible
- Listen to you and discuss any questions you may have
- Attending an Alpha course can provide a helpful introduction to the Christian faith and it will enable you to develop a network of friends in the faith